Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Interviews

Interviews are a good tool to stop and reflect on tactics, thinking process, ways of managing etc etc

Me : How do you manage staff development?
Can 1 : I see 5 person a time but individually where I talk to them, ask them about this and that, follow up on things and I write notes in my special book after they leave the room...they don't know about this book :) I arrange them by sections in my department.
Can 1 : My boss always say how can you remember? I show him the book
Me : How frequent do you do this?
Can 1 : A few days in a month

Me : How do you manage business performance in your current role?
Can2 : I track and monitor my KPIs
Me : What kind of KPIs do you monitors?
Can2 : Cost, Safety, Deliveries on time, etc...(opens his folders and showed me the printed graphs of his various KPIs for the last year by month)
Me : (I was thinking, wow, you come prepared and is the first ever person to show photos of his workplace, photos of his achievements)


HR : The following section is on a scenario, please take 10 minutes to read it and we will call start again
Can3: Takes the paper, looks a bit unhappy, pupils dilated and and his body language showed uneasiness
Me : (observes...interesting response)
Can3: (leaves the room)
---interview continues---
Can3: (candidate enters and sits down)
Me : (observes that candidate's paper, is blank - unscribbled)
---and the last question was---
HR : What's the strategic implication of this to your company? (Candidate in the scenario is a CEO)
Can3: (candidate answers a whole bunch of stuff relates to the immediate issue...)
---interview ended---
Me : So what do you think of our candidate?
HR : I was a bit dissapointed when candidate dismissed the scenario section as trivial
Me : And after considering all points, candidate couldn't show evidence that he can manage strategically and cross functional

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you hired them? Those who came with KPIs

According to the basic rules of interview, the candidates should be prepared in any terms and condition and able to change in any situation.

Anyway I rather them to explain their KPIs than showing it to me.

Anonymous said...

hmmm...:))) yes I ask them to explain their KPIs and he can do it pretty well